The Bank of Commerce was organized in March of 1926 and opened on April 1, 1926 with capital of $50,000. The Bank, originally located at the corner of Parkerson Avenue and Second St., received deposits of $215,000 on opening day. The original Board of Directors consisted of A. Kaplan, W.H. Hunter, Frank A. Godchaux, Paul Eckels, Albert F. Horn, P.M. Lyons, William Heinen, A.C. Boudreaux, Dr. F.N. Hayes, Edward Daigle, F.J. Bollich, W.M. Egan, Onezie Vincent, Dr. M.L. Hoffpauer and Girard Hoffpauir. A. Kaplan was the Bank's first President and served until 1931, when Edward Daigle of Church Point was elected President.
Original Bank Headquarters
On February 1, 1932, the Bank acquired the Bank of Acadia and increased capital to $100,000. Then in 1936 the Bank acquired the Farmers Bank & Trust Co. of Church Point and the Rayne State Bank of Rayne, and opened branches in these towns. This move brought the Bank's capital up to $350,000.
On January 1, 1944 the Bank of Commerce sold its interest in the Church Point branch to the newly organized Farmers State Bank & Trust Co. Edward Daigle assumed the leadership position there and George K. Cutrer became President of Bank of Commerce, serving in that capacity until 1965, at which time Vincent P. Daigle assumed the presidency.
The Bank continued to grow and invest back into Acadia Parish, with a new branch building in Iota in 1950, a new main office in Crowley in 1957 (in the former Green's Hardware Store), in 1970 a new branch building in Rayne, and in 1980 the establishment of a branch in Mermentau.
Bank of Commerce & Trust Co. is now approximately a $300 million bank, with a branch on North Parkerson in Crowley built in 1994, and expansion and renovation of the main office completed in 2000. The Bank is a locally owned, independent bank and does a substantial amount of business with individuals, as well as with customers in commercial, industrial and professional businesses. As a community bank, Bank of Commerce strives to provide excellent service to our customers with friendly, professional people dedicated to giving each and every customer prompt, courteous and personal attention.
We are proud of our history and long-standing presence in Acadia parish and give thanks to those whose foresight and devotion to our Bank and to our community brought us to where we are today. And though our assets have grown substantially since our humble beginning in 1926, our most precious assets continue to be our valued customers, our shareholders and our employees.